- Position: Researcher/Policy Analyst
- Location: Toronto
- Employment Status: Full-time
- Salary Range: $56,000–66,000 plus benefits
- Language Requirements: Bilingual (French/English, oral and written)
The Canadian HIV/AIDS Legal Network is one of the world’s leading non-governmental organizations working exclusively on HIV/AIDS-related legal and human rights issues, in Canada and internationally. We accomplish this through research, policy analysis, education, advocacy, and community mobilization. We are seeking a full-time Bilingual Researcher/Policy Analyst.
The ideal candidate will:
- hold a graduate law degree in international law and good knowledge of both common and civil law;
- have proven skills in legal research and writing;
- have three or more years experience in policy analysis and advocacy work in HIV/AIDS, human rights (including the issue of the criminalization of HIV transmission and exposure), or a related field;
- have some experience working internationally, particularly with or in collaboration with international francophone NGOs;
- have experience delivering presentations to a variety of audiences, from NGOs to government policy-makers, as well as giving media interviews;
- be driven by a passion for human rights and social justice;
- be able to work in both English and French (a high level of fluency in French is required);
- be in a position to travel internationally;
- have proven project management skills; and
- be capable of working independently with minimal supervision.
The Researcher/Policy Analyst will work on a variety of legal and policy issues related to HIV/AIDS. The principal focus of this position is working on the issue of criminalization of HIV transmission or exposure in Canada and abroad as well as working with the francophonie within Canada and internationally on issues of concern to people living with or at risk of HIV.
Specific responsibilities include:
- collaborating with partner organizations and other stakeholders, nationally and internationally;
- monitoring developments with legal, ethical or policy dimensions related to HIV/AIDS in Canada and internationally, particularly issues related to criminalization of HIV transmission and exposure;
- delivering presentations, lectures, and workshops;
- representing the Legal Network at meetings with other organizations and government agencies;
- responding to relevant media inquiries in English and French and preparing commentary articles and other public statements;
- assisting as necessary in developing funding applications and budgets; and
- preparing reports on project activities.
The Researcher/Policy Analyst will be a member of the Policy Unit, reporting directly to the Executive Director.
Persons living with HIV/AIDS and others from equity-seeking populations are encouraged to apply.
To apply, please send a covering letter and detailed resumé, along with a writing sample (preferably an unedited article or article submission, research paper or summary of research paper; preferably not a legal brief), by 10 April 2013 to:
Canadian HIV/AIDS Legal Network
Only submissions by email are accepted.
We thank all applicants for their interest. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Back to top